Saturday, July 29, 2006


Last week, Shannon and I left for New England so that I could be in Mark Rosedale's wedding. Mark has been a close friend of mine since junior high school and was also my 'best man' for our wedding. His bride, Lynn, is from Dover, New Hampshire. We had a great time seeing Mark and getting to know Lynn a little. The wedding went beautifully.

During our extended weekend, Shannon and I had a chance to do a little sightseeing. Although we were too far away to visit Acadia National Park, we did see quite a bit in lower Maine. I was very impressed: it is one of the most beautiful places I've seen so far.

The day after the wedding Shannon and I saw four lighthouses, such as the one pictured. The warm, yet overcast, weather made the day ideal for viewing the gray, rocky coastline. Once again, we marvel that all this could be made with merely a word.

Monday morning, before we left for home, we even tried our hand at kayaking, which was an experience we enjoyed. (we have more pics on our website)

The only challenge of weekend (other than lack of sleep) was the fact that I was stung by a wasp the day we left for NH. Over the process of two days, my leg continued to swell and redden. The night before the wedding, we considered the emergency room, but settled for benadryl, an ice pack, and nine hours of sleep. Thankfully, the symptoms began to subside.

The trip home was as uneventful as the initial journey north--for which we are thankful. Overall, Shannon and I had wonderful and refreshing weekend seeing old friends and enjoying God's creation.

4 comments:

S said...

Those pics looks like postcards we've seen. We hope to do the lighthouse tour someday, since we got engaged at one in Wisconsin. We have them all over our house.

text said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelli said...

Hey, I came across your blog and thought I would say hi! Looks like you had a great time out east. I have always wanted to go out to Maine, NewHampshire area and see the sights. I checked out your website as well, sounds like you guys are doing well!
Kelli & Heston Frey

Don & Katrina Hines said...

Hey Guys!
I'm impressed! Who was behind the camera for those shots! Beautiful! I'm glad you guys had a great time and safe journey to and from! Look forward to seeing you all soon!