Thursday, October 11, 2007

Burnt to a Crisp...well, not quite!

Two and a half weeks ago I experienced the worst pain of my life! I left some oil unattended on the stove and when I returned the pan and oil were on fire. In a state of panic, I picked up the pan and searched for the fire extinguisher. In the process, I dropped the pan, probably because it was burning me. After I muffled the fire with a towel, I looked at my hand and realized how badly I had burned it. Praise the Lord my landlady was home and able to take me to ER. They treated me for second degree burns on my left hand and the index finger on my right hand. It was probably the worst few hours of my life. God gave me the grace to endure it along with some pain medication. :) In the two weeks since then, I have been out of work and attending physical therapy almost everyday. It is amazing to see how God is working to heal my burns. I have almost all the movement back in my fingers and Lord willing I hope to return to work in a couple of weeks.
TJ has been a huge help and encouragement to me. Thanks babe for being there for me. I have also been blessed with help from my mom the last couple weeks. I don't know what I would have done without her. And for all of you who have known what happened, I want to thank you for your prayers, encouragement, and many acts of kindness. You have all been such a blessing. It is amazing what we take for granted until we suddenly lose it. I had no idea how much I needed two hands and especially my thumb. One of the things I have learned is to be more thankful for the things God has allowed me to do with two hands such as cooking, playing the piano and flute, doing hair (mine as well as others), making projects, and many other things (like posting on my blog). God has truly been gracious to me throughout this experience and the mistakes that I made. He's teaching me to keep looking toward Him that He might continue to work in me for the praise of His glory.
P.S.
In case any of you are wondering, I do have pictures of my burns but I didn't think it was a good idea to post them for all to see. It is not a pretty picture!

Here's a pic of the offending pan and my burned hand in bandages.

10 comments:

S said...

i'm glad your hand is healing. how painful!! we have been praying for you. when will you be able to go back to work?

by the way- no we haven't found esther's baby yet.

Karis said...

I'm so glad your hand is healing and that your mom has been able to stay and help especially when TJ has to be at work or school! You are a trooper dealing with those first few days and now the physical therapy.

Anonymous said...

Owie! I'm so sorry about your burns! I know from experience how hard it is to cope with burn pain, let alone on such a sensitive body part which we use all the time. Glad it is healing and I hope you are able to return to work soon. Is TJ doing your hair for you? :) ha, I would like to see that! :)
Love ya,
lacey

The Horaks said...

Shannon!! I'm so glad you're ok!

Emily said...

I'm glad your mom has been able to be here and your hands are healing well. I'd feel pretty helpless not being able to use my hands! We've been praying for you and if you need anything, let me know.

Tim, Kristen , Megan, Emily, and Anna said...

wow...that sounds very painful... Bethany told me you had burnt your hand really badly. I am glad that you are doing better.

cranny + b said...

how are you doing? Hope that those burns are healing up okay! Talk to you soon!
sarah

Don & Katrina Hines said...

Well, I'm way behind in commenting on this, but I still wanted to let you know that we are continually thinking and praying for you guys! Let us know if you need ANYTHING!

Tiffany Wagner said...

Yipes, that sounds awful! Glad you are healing . . . must be hard to be patient in the mean time. And way to go, having a good perspective on it all!

juliechall said...

Hey - I'm glad that things are improving - I actually heard that you are going back to work this week - I didn't want to pounce on you, but.... I kind of need a hair cut and was curious if you are available or are still trying to keep things slow for a while...let me know when you get a chance - thanks!!! Julie